Create a page layout with custom content areas
Page layouts are essential on SharePoint publishing sites, they enable the creation of content with specific editable fields.
There are predefined content areas that can be reused however sometimes they are not enough to build the perfect layout.
In this article I’ll explain you how to create a basic custom page layout with multiple Page Content areas also known as Rich HTML Field.
By default, SharePoint only provides one Rich HTML Field to be used by the page layout but my goal is to use two of this areas side by side.
Create a new content area
- On your Publishing site go to Site Settings
- Under Web Designer Galleries click on Site Content Types
- Scroll down to the Page Layout Content Types
- Click on Article Page
- Scroll down and click on Add from new site column
- Provide the Column name (e.g. Page Content #2)
- Select Full HTML content with formatting and constraints for publishing
- In the group section select Existing Group and then Page Layout Columns
- Click OK
Create the page layout
- Open your publishing site with SharePoint designer
- In the Navigation select Page Layouts
- Click New Page Layout and fill the form as shown in the image below
- For the Content Type Group select Page Layout Content Types
- For the Content Type Name select Article Page
- Provide a custom URL Name and Title
Once the page layout is created it will open in edit mode
<div id="DeltaPlaceHolderMain"> <div id="leftColumn" style="width:50%; float:left;"> </div> <div id="rightColumn" style="width:50%; float:right"> </div> </div>